Q: What is the difference between Parent Association and Parent Council?

Both are separate organizations.

The Parent Association is an organization that exists to assist and benefit the school community. The Association does not discuss or provide school guidance.

The Parent Council is an organization that exists to provide feedback on and help guide school policy. The council does not fundraise or run events.

Learn more here.

Q: Who can attend meetings?

The Parent Association is open to the public.

The Parent Council is only to open to legal parents and guardians of students currently enrolled in Woodbine School.

The meetings of each organization typically take place back-to-back on the same evening.

Please join us at our regular monthly meeting.

Q: When does the Parent Association meet?

We typically meet the last Thursday of the month at Woodbine school.

Pease see our Events page for the next meeting.

Q: Are any Parent Association positions paid?

No. All positions are 100% volunteer.

Q: How do I register my child at Woodbine school?

See the Calgary Board of Education’s registration page.

Q: I have a question, concern or complaint about my child’s classroom / teacher / school situation. Can you help?

Please contact the school for these matters.

The parent council is happy to hear any concerns in regards to school policy and help relay those concerns to the school administration.

The parent association does not have the ability to involve itself in concerns or complaints.

Our best advice is to follow the CBE’s concerns and complaints guide and to keep copies of written correspondence and summarize verbal conversations with a written correspondence.

Q: Where does fundraising money go?

All fundraising money is directed to Woodbine school and its students.

The Parent Association votes on the direction for the money to be spent.

In the past, funds have been directed into projects such as:

  • Field trips
  • Artists in residence
  • Technology for the school
  • Furniture and equipment for the ‘Calm Room’
  • A new shed for “loose parts”
  • School supplies and materials

Q: How is spending decided?

All spending is approved by a motion to spend on the item and a vote carried out during a Parent Association meeting.

A request or idea may come from anyone in the community – the schools’ teachers and administration, a parent, student, or community member.

Q: How can I volunteer with the Parent Association?

Sign up for our volunteer roster, or come to our monthly meeting.

We help run activities such as dances, staff appreciation events, and fundraising. We’d love to have you!

Q: How can I volunteer in the school or on field trips?

All in-school volunteering must be coordinated through the school. A police clearance is mandatory.

See the CBE’s page “come volunteer with us” or contact the school office for more information about volunteering in the school.

Q: Is there a volunteer commitment?

No, any help is appreciated!